Monday, June 28, 2010

Order Our Pets Lift-N-Aid Mobility Harness - Medium


My now almost 17 year old dog, which only weighs 33 pounds depises when I try to use this type of harness. If your dog has an elongated chest/abdomen, I see this as a product that could potentially harm the dog's chest even perhaps crack a rib in an older dog. As one other person remarked, when lifting-- the device slides forward toward the heavier (chest) area; it bunches at the front. If you make the clips too tight, the dog's ability to breath is inhibited. If too loose, the harness slides and bunches up under the axillae and neck.
I saw one promising device that uses 2 separate straps in front and back. This would seem to work, except, if you're trying to get it on and off quickly and easily, it's not an ideal option. I wrote to a woman who at first agreed to custom make a dog coat type device that covered both the chest & the lower groin area (if male, she made penis opening.) The coat snapped at the top of the back and essentially covered the entire abdominal and chest area. This would have been a perfect device (similiar to what one would see with a floatation device, but LONGER. Unfortunteately, even though price would not have been an issue, the woman did not have the time (or perhaps after I sent her every measurement I could make on my my dog, she thought it would be a lot of work).
I think what I will end up doing is finding an old heavy weight towel, cut 4 slits in it (5 if a male) and sew Velcro at the top of the opening, across the spine. This is a product that is needed and I do not understand why someone who's a decent seamstress or tailor couldn't mass produce something that has the necessary weight bearing ability and have a quick connect straping at the top...this one advertised, incidentally has the upper round handles, tucked or tied, in order for the dog NOT to trip while just simply walking when they're not in use for LIFTING the dog.
Anyone who's found a good alternative, I wish they'd put the website here.
Thanks,
Dee. HGet more detail about Our Pets Lift-N-Aid Mobility Harness - Medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment